Irrational Studios is a specialised user experience, information design and branding studio.
Our primary client, Travelstart, is expanding to 15 countries in 2007 and we need some extra help handling the design roll-out.
We’re looking for a Junior Designer who possesses the following qualities:
– Willingness to learn
– Ability to think systematically
– Obsession with detail & clarity of communication
We found this quote from Terry Irwin about hiring designers. It rings very true for Irrational Studios too:
“It was always a useful litmus test for interviewing prospective designers to put a 1040 Income Tax Form on the desk and ask them how they would like to redesign it. If their eyes glazed over or they broke out in a cold sweat, I knew it wasn’t likely to be a good fit.”
So to paraphrase: if you’re not passionate about making complex information understandable and meaningful to human beings, please don’t apply!
You’ll be responsible for:
– Design of promotional material for both print and web within brand guidelines (business cards, competition updates, email signatures, wine labels, signage, newsletters, web banners etc)
– Maintenance work on the 15 international Travelstart websites (everything from preparing images to rolling out templates)
– Assisting with daily studio tasks
We know it’s not glamourous, but the position offers the opportunity to learn in an environment where best practices in UX and Info Design are being implemented for a successful international online business.
– Flash MX (a bonus)
– Affinity for grid systems
– Undying love for Edward Tufte 🙂
– Basic understanding of the principles of HTML + CSS
Job level: Junior
Remuneration: Based on experience and skills
Province: Western Cape
City: Cape Town City Bowl
Contact Anne-Sophie on firstname.lastname@example.org with CV and portfolio 🙂