If you are looking for a fun day out in Johannesburg- I recommend the Johannesburg Zoo situated in the leafy suburb of Parkview . I absolutely love visiting the Zoo and at the ripe old age of 26 I still get as excited as most kids do.
Opened in 1904, the Zoo has for many years played an important role in the lives of many Joburger’s (both human and animal). The aim of the Johannesburg Zoo is to play an important role in conservation projects of both indigenous and worldwide endangered animals. They do this in numerous ways including working closely with the Jane Goodall Institute and the Endangered Wildlife Trust.
What’s great about the zoo, is that in some ways it hasn’t changed much since I was a kid (yes the giant boot and pumpkin are still there) but it has also been greatly improved and modernised to provide comfortable homes for its inhabitants and to make it a world class visitor attraction. A visit to the Zoo these days can take you on a journey to the Jungles of Madagascar or the Amazon or maybe even a walk around Crocodile Country.
The Zoo is one of those rare days out that everyone can enjoy- from the youngest member of the family, to gran and grandpa and I know all my 20 something friends love it too. We even went to a camp-out at the zoo a few months ago- nothing beats hearing the lions roar while you are sleeping in your tent a few metres from their enclosure in the middle of our concrete jungle-Jozi.
Must Do’s at the Johannesburg Zoo:
- Pack a picnic- don’t forget the Zoo Biscuits
- Make sure to pay the Gorilla Makoko a visit
- Have a gander at our closest relatives the chimps and Orangutans
- Explore the original lion and polar bear enclosures (a scary look at what the Zoo used to be like)
- Check out the King Julians (also known as lemurs) and the very comical gibbons and their beautiful baby
- Have a picture taken next to the Giant Pumpkin and boot
- Take time out to enjoy a yummy hot chocolate in Winter or an old school snow cone in summer
- And last but not least make sure to find out where all the Zoo babies are and pay them a visit
TEL: 011 646 2000
Open Monday to Sunday, public holidays including Christmas and New Year
Business Hours are 8:30am to 5:30pm, last entry 4:00pm
Adults (over 13 years) – R50
Pensioners – R30
Children (12 years and younger) – R30