Germany visa requirements for South Africans

Brandenburg Gate Berlin at night floodlit

Europe’s most organised country has long been a popular destination for holiday-makers. If you need some clarification on how to apply for the Schengen visa, check out these visa requirements and links to the application form and visa agency who can assist further.

Requirement for German visa for South Africans

The applicant should bring:

  • 1 filled out application form, signed by the applicant (see next section for form)
  • permanent passport – valid for at least 3 months from your date of return from your trip
  • 1 recent passport sized photo
  • 3 months bank statements
  • Letter from employer/academic institution confirming employment/enrollment and when you are due back. If self-employed, confirmation of VAT registration showing you as owner
  • Copy of confirmed and paid return flight ticket and documents showing further travel within the EU
  • Proof of confirmed hotel reservation and €40 per day in forex or available on credit card OR a formal obligation document issued by the local municipality from the person who is hosting you in Germany , ie friend or family (must be original)
  • Proof of previous trips to the Schengen Area (visas)
  • Travel insurance covering at least €30,000 for hospitalisation and repatriation

German visa application form:

The German visa application form must be filled out online

Where to apply for a German Visa:

Durban: (031) 266-3920 > 9 Kensington Drive (opposite the Westville Mall)

Cape Town: (021) 405 3020/ 40 > 19th Floor, Triangle house “Safmarine House”, 22 Riebeek Street, Cape Town

Pretoria: (012) 427-8974 1267 > Pretorius Street, Hadefield, Block B, Hatfield, Pretoria

Applicants should make an appointment online to apply in person.

German Visa Price:

  • Children under the age of 6: Free
  • All others: €60

Fee must be paid in Rands at precise amount of date of application’s exchange rate. Suggestion: contact consulate on date of application to get precise exchange rate, take many small notes with you (R10′s and R20′s) so as to have the right change.

The information above was correct at time of publication, we always suggest using a reputable visa agency where possible or contacting the embassy directly to get the most up-to-date information.

Austria Visa Application

Greece Visa Application

Denmark Visa Application

Price drop for Schengen visa

Italy Visa Application

UK Visa Application

Schengen visa basic info


Search for cheap flights

One way
1 Traveller
2 Travellers
3 Travellers
4 Travellers
5 Travellers

Our Readers Comments

  1. hey iam citizen i need your help to assiste me to get visa for gemany

    • Hey Malick! I would suggest contacting a visa agency like the one at this link for assistance: . You’ll need to provide dates and where you live so that they can advise you on how to go about applying for the visa. Shout if you have any questions 🙂

  2. Hey Nick. Im leaving to for europe in just over 2weeks, and 3 weeks ago I was told by my travel agent that it would be enough time to get my visas, and today i was told that I can’t get an appointment for my italian schengen visa and that I have to cancel my trip. Is there any other way I can get my schengen visa in 2 weeks?

    • Hi Malerie! I would suggest contacting the Italian consulate directly and explaining your situation and asking them if they will do emergency applications for you, I’m not sure of your closest consulate, but have a look at this site: Good luck, I hope it all works out!

    • Hi Malerie,

      If you live in Jo’burg then you can go to Houghton and the address is:37 1ST Avenue corner 2ND street, Houghton Estate and telephone number is: 011 728 1392 and e-mail:

      Good luck and God Bless you,


  3. Hi there

    I need to apply for a Schengan Visa to visit France.
    Please can u advise on procedure and costs.
    I am from Durban…Can the application be done here? Do I need to go to Jhb?

    Kindly advise

    • Hi Nantisha,

      thanks for getting in touch. I have just chatted with Charmaine Chupty at (they are the official visa handling service for the French Consulate) she informed me that you will have to go up to Joburg to apply in person there. You can have your passport and visa couriered back to you if you don’t have time to sit around and wait for it to be processed, you can book that on their website. All the details on the fees and what’s needed for the application can be found by clicking here:

  4. how much money should I have in my account if I intend to travel to germany and surrounding area in order to qualify for a Visa.

    • Hi Haaniem, thanks for getting in touch. You will need at least R450 per day in your account to be safe, this is providing you have your accommodation sorted out already.

  5. We are travelling to Washington through Frankfurt and will have 11 hours on the airport. Is it possible do have a sight-seeing trip without a Germany visa? Or is there a special visa for this purpose? We do not want to sit at the airport for all these hours. What is our options?

    • Hi Maricel. Unfortunately to leave the airport you will need to get a visa, it’s going to cost you about R650 per person, so I suggest you rather break the journey (if possible) in Frankfurt for a few days to make the most of spending all that money. Alternatively you will just have to wait in the airport for the 11 hours, check out the transfer guide for Frankfurt airport for what you can do while there:

  6. Hi Nick
    I recently returned to Cape Town after visiting my European fiance in Germany for 6wks. We have decided that myself and my 11yr old son will relocate to Germany at the end of this month (April). Because its a mission for us to marry in Germany, me and my fiance are getting married in Denmark next month (May). What do you suggest being the best route for me when appling for me and my sons visa next week? My fiance wants that I just apply for a 6wk visa and then just get married without informing the German consulate of our intentions otherwise it could become impossible for us to do things the way we planned and in the time frame we want. Your feedback would be greatly appriciated.

    • Hi Noewell. This is a tricky one and I don’t have a lot of experience with these sorts of visas.

      You could apply for a normal visitors visa with a letter from your fiance inviting you to visit and then travel to Denmark that way while there.

      I am not sure of the risks of doing this in this way. I would think there is a very real chance that if the German border control finds out, you could be deported and not allowed back. Marrying and EU citizen, to my knowledge, does not guarantee you citizenship or indefinite leave to remain in that country, particularly if you do not go via the correct channels.

      I wish I could offer you more concrete suggestions but this really is outside of my area of expertise. Perhaps try contacting a visa agency to see if they can advise you further:

    • Hi Noewell
      My name is Ruan and i would just like to know if you did come right with your visa to go and stay in germany,and if you did what did you do and went about,i could use some info on that so if u can let me now please

  7. Hi,

    I am a South African resident carrying a South African passport with a USA visa. I am now in US and will be travellling to SA but need to connect in Germany. Do I need an intransit visa for this?


  8. Hi Nick
    I am planning a business trip to the UK in early July. I have a UK visa sorted out. There is a chance that when I am there I may need to go to Germany for a few days too, however this is not confirmed yet. Naturally I therefore do not have a confirmed itinerary etc as required for a visa. I may not even need the visa, but I would like to have it, just in case I need to go at the last minute.

    Is there a way to apply for a visa without an itinerary / plane ticket / accommodation etc? If I need to go obviously I will sort all this out there, but I may not have the luxury of time to wait while I apply for a visa in London.

  9. Good day Nick

    I just want to enquire if my CFA studies (international degree) is sufficient proof that I am currently studying? I’ve heard over the grapevine that one national studies (Stellenbosch, UCT, etc.) is acceptable.

    What is your opinion?

  10. I would like to know…. My friend who is an Opera singer wants me to go to Germany for 3 months. While i’m there i’ll try and look for a job at Opera Houses. He will also provide accommodation, travel and food money for me.. What type of visa do i apply for in this case. As i dont have an invitation from a specific Opera Company but want to be there to find work for myself

  11. Hi Nick,

    i was born in South Africa and im married with a german fellow,our children are all born here in Germany so i would like to go back and live in South Africa again.What to do?
    please Ria

  12. I want to travel about 10 days in Germany to visit family and friends. I do not want to have pre-booked accommodation. I can provide proof that I will have 300 Euros per day at my disposal while in Germany. Do I still need proof of booked accommodation?

  13. I am travelling to Germany at the end of May 2013 for about 10 days. What is the EARLIEST i can put in an application for a visa??

    Flight and hotels booked and confirmed but would be great to get the visa sorted now, so that i don’t have to worry about it closer to date of departure.

  14. Hi there!
    I have applied for an internship with Camp Europe as a language counsellor for their summer camps.
    This will be in June – Aug. Most likely my placement will be in Germany (but there is an option for Ireland and Spain).
    Afterwards I would like to do a Contiki tour for 2-3 weeks to the other Schengen countries.
    Would the letter from Germany be sufficient proof about accommodation for the itinerary?
    I’m covered for medical, food and board while I’m with them and i receive a small stipend at the end for travel expenses.
    I’ll be away for 3 – 4 months, do you think my visa application will be easily accepted?
    I’m happy to get extra travel insurance if neccesary. Can my dad sign as surety of finances in case I run out?
    Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

  15. I need a to travel to Germany, with my south africa

    • it will be my first time visiting Germany
      Im based in SA, how long is the flight

    • Hi Slindile,

      Great to hear from you.

      The flight duration depends on which city you flying in and out of as well as the airline you will be travelling on. Example if you are flying on Emirates you will not have a direct flight and fly via their hub Dubai and have a lay over making the flying time longer.

      You will need to check on your booking. The great thing is when booking with Travelstart at the time of making the booking, once you have selected your flight we show you on the right hand side of your screen the flight duration.

  16. Hi!
    I have been invited to visit friends in Germany,
    but will enter at Zurich, stay there for a few days and then proceed to Germany. I intend to return to Zurich after a few weeks in Germany and depart from there. I have a preliminary flight booking.
    I understand that I must complete a Swiss visa form. Could this be done in Durban at the German embassy?

    • Hi Pieter,

      When applying for a Schengen visa you always apply through the country you are spending the longest time in on that trip, if you are spending equal time in more than one, the country you enter first issues the visa.
      Based on the information provided you will need to apply for the visa at the German consulate in Durban.

  17. I am travelling to Germany to join a ship and understand that I need a Schengen.
    I have had two Schengen’s in the past two years, one was a transit and the other a multiple-entry. Is it true that I can apply through an agency and not present myself. Also, do you know how many working days it takes?

    • Hi Naomi,

      You can apply for your visa online here: Applications are usually processed by the embassy in 2-3 working days.

  18. i am Nepal citizen studying in south Africa for two years, i want to travel to Portugal to visit my relatives. i can apply for visa from south africa and what are the documents need for me to get visa.

    • Hi Keshav,

      You will need to contact the German embassy directly to enquire as to whether they issue visas to Nepalese citizens in South Africa. They will also be able to tell you exactly what documents you will need.

  19. Hi. Is the visa that I will need to enter Denmark the same as the one needed for Germany?

  20. Hi.I was wondering if you could please advise.Im leaving for Germany on the 10th June and will be back 28 June.Im staying with a friend in Germany.He scanned through and signed my letter,stating I’ll be there with him.Will an emailed letter be acceptable for the Consulate in Cape Town or MUST it be handwritten?What else must the letter contain?Do they need to know how I’m travellibg around Germany?
    Also during that time,I’m visiting family in Spain.Will I also need a letter from them for the consulate and do they need to know how I’m travelling from Germany to Spain?
    The website for te consulate wasn’t very informative.Please assist.Thanks

  21. Hi,

    Travelling to Germany in a months time,

    What is “Travel insurance covering at least €30,000 for hospitalisation and repatriation” is this a Medical Aid cover from Discovery?


  22. Hi

    We are going to Germany next month, on the requirements form it states we need a “Declaration of True and Complete Information in accordance with §55 Residence Act”. What exactly is that?

    Thank you,

  23. Hi

    Where do I buy/apply for health travel insurance to visit Germany?

  24. Hi there,

    I am travelling to Germany for 2 weeks in July then to Amsterdam for 5 Days. I am a RSA citizen and my mom is a British Citizen – On the German Schengen Visa application form it states that if you are a “spouse, child or dependent of an EU,EEA or CH citizen you don’t need to fill in the accommodation and funding parts of the form. Does that mean that no bank statements, no proof of accommodation at all and no employee/ own business registration forms need to be handed in?


  25. my sister invite me for holiday in germany and i have all the invitation and she will be in charge of all my expenses until the end of my holiday.
    My question is that what other document do you need apart the one that i have.
    I’ve got a valide work pertmit.
    Valide passport.

  26. Hi,

    I have 20K in my bank. my accommodation is sorted. but i run my own business so there is no consistancy in my bank. i want to visit germany for 4 days and then go to paris for a day then holland for 2 days. will i be ok?

  27. Hi,

    I still have a valid 3 year Schengen visa from when I went to Italy in 2012. Is it ok to use this for Germany too?


  28. Hi there,

    I want to apply for a job in Germany, but I have never been to a Shengen Area before and everywhere I’ve looked, it says that this is necessary to apply for a German visa. It is a creative job as well, so I only have a diploma, not a degree. Is it at all possible that I could arrange something or is this going to be fruitless?

  29. Hi

    I am self-employed and run my business in my own name(sole-proprietor)). I am a day-trader(of stocks) which allows me to operate anywhere with a Internet connection.
    I’d like to come work in Germany for up to 3 months, continuing my work as a day-trader and perhaps renting a furnished apartment for the duration of my stay.
    Please advise on the best possible way to go about this? I would alsoli,e to travel throughout Europe(on weekends)

    Thank you.

  30. l am a foreigner with my family in Germany. l have not seen them for the past twenty seven years,can you help me to visit them l live in Joburg.My daughter”s name is Sandy Amkenbrock and her daughter, all Germans.l will be very happy

  31. Hi
    I am travelling to Germany in November with my child (16) and my visa is valid until 2014. Three questions:
    1. Can I apply on her behalf or does she have to come with me for finger prints to the visa office for her appointment?
    2. If she got an invitation to demonstrate an expo project do we still have to pay 60 euros for her visa?
    3. Where can I find the form for her father to sign for consent?

  32. Im confused. …does a child under 18 require an abridged or unabridged birth certificate

  33. Hi
    Am planning a visit to
    Germany in
    December 2013. All accommodation has been paid for, train tickets etc. My problem is that I am a full-time student and cannot supply 3 months bank statements. How will that affect my visa application?

    • I want an advice what to do.i came to south Africa and whiles I was there a friend influence me to help me to travel to Europe and he stole his friend originals document from his office and signed his signature and prepare everything for me to pretend he is my uncle and want to travel with me to Germany and he managed to get me a permit for me in my passport to apply for the visa at the Germany consulate in cape town while I was given the visa to travel to Germany without the mans knowledge and I was able to travel to Germany but he made a mistake on my return date and I was arrested in Frankfurt and deported cape town and when I got there I was also deported to my country and now I want to inform the Germany embassy about it and the person has a one year visa so I want to know if it will effect the man since he have know ideal of what is going on meanwhile the guy is still in cape town using his emails because of trust he had to work with him and some one should advice me what to do since the man is innocent please a quick response will do
      and how do I inform the german consulate since my heart is sore

  34. Do I need a visa for a connecting flight in Frankfurt. I am traveling to the USA

  35. Do I need a visa for a connecting flight (layover of 9 hours) in Frankfort. I am traveling from the USA (after I studied in the US) to South Africa.

    Thank you for your help

  36. Hi,

    What do they mean that travel insurance linked to a Credit card is not valid? last time i applied for a schengen visa through Germany, my credit card top up travel insurance option was sufficient??

  37. Can I make an appointment for a german visa for two weeks I want to go on 28june 2014. My passport no is 10026642 issued on24 Feb 2014 will expire on 23 Feb 2024. I am a swazi citizen by birth with id no 8006121100423. Thank you

  38. I need a german visa application form to attend the automechanica in september

  39. hi , i get my rengistration to deutschakademie berlin to learn german language for 4weeks would i apply for student visa or schengen visa? because i don’t understand for which visa can i apply

    • Hi Tshiaba,

      We advise that you contact the language school directly and ask them what they recommend. You can also contact this visa centre here:

      – Liam

  40. Hi am a ghanaian on holidays in south africa. can i apply for a german visa here when my entry has expired but my. visa iss. still valid

    • Hello Derick, thank you for contacting us! We are not sure how your holiday visa is valid since your dates have expired. If you are here on a holiday visa, you will need to go back to your home country to apply for your visa to Germany. If you are here on a permanent resident permit you will be able to apply withing South Africa. Hope this helps, Almene 🙂

  41. Hi,
    My daughter is going to Germany, she has a job offer and we are busy with her visa application. I just need to know how much money must she have in her bank account.
    Kind regards

  42. Just an fyi… If you live in PE, you are able to apply in person in PE at Intergate Visalink. The staff are friendly and happy to help!!

  43. Hi there.

    I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I am currently in Berlin on a tourist visa although i have been asked by the friends i am visiting here if i can possibly extend my visa and stay for an extra 2weeks as they would also like to travel to Athens for a couple of days and want me to join them. The visa was issued for the 1st September till the 15th and i was hoping to extend it to the 24th. What do i have too do and where do i have to go to apply for a visa extension.
    Please help 😉

  44. Hi I need to travel to Germany but I have a temporary residence permit here in south Africa as my husband is south African and I am a Zimbabwean with a Zimbabwean passport but residing here in south Africa, please can you advise on how to go about it.

    • Hi Lorraine, I would suggest that you get hold of Visalink, the official handling agent and application centre for the German Embassy in South Africa. You should be allowed to apply here in South Africa, but just double check with them:

  45. Hi I have a valid German passport in addition to a South African passport. In December I plan on travelling to Europe (England, Holland, Germany, Switzerland and France) and wish to know if I require any visas or such?

  46. I am searching for updated 2014/2015 information on how many euro i need per day to apply for a German visitors visa. My accommodation will be sorted with friends. I cannot find this info on consulate site.

    • Hi Karen,

      Thanks for reaching out.

      Currently the amount needed per day when applying for a German visa is Euro 50,00 per person per day for the trip.

      You will need to provide documents proving that you have sufficient funds or foreign exchange.

      This was found on the following link below, however we do advise you still contact the consultant to double check as this could have changed anytime.

      Have a great day!

  47. I have applied for a visa through intergate visalink in centurion. how long do they usually take before you get your visa?

    • Hi Karen, they should take a maximum of 7 working days to process your visa.

  48. I am planning a one month trip to Germany at the end of May 2015. How far in advance do I need to apply for my Visa?

    • Hi Paul,

      Thanks for getting in touch!

      You can apply for your German Visa anytime before your departure, however the sooner the better we recommend, especially in peak season of travel.
      Its important that one does their research by contacting the Embassy or going online to see what all is needed before making ones appointment. As one needs to be prepared and have all the relevant documents ready before applying.

      Another important tip, ones passport must be valid for at least six months upon conclusion of your trip.

  49. Hello, I’m South African and my husband is Lithuanian. We live in Lithuania but are planning to have the birth of our child in Durban, South Africa. Will our newborn require a visa to return to Europe?

    • Hi Laurelle,

      Great to hear from you!

      If your child is born in South Africa and holds a South African passport he might need to get a visa. However this is not always the case if the father holds a Lithuanian passport and is on the child’s birth certificate.

      Every case is different, I would recommend you contact the Lithuanian Consulate and they will be able to provide you with the most up to date information:

      1st Floor, Killarney Mall
      60 Riviera Road, Killarney
      Johannesburg 2193
      South Africa
      Telephone (+27) 11 4863660

      All the best 🙂


  50. Hello, I need some advice. I am married to a german guy for 15 years. We have two children and stayed here in Germany. I have a permanant stay permit. I am a South african. My passport expeired on 7 December 2014 and I already applied a renwal on 13October2014 in a South african embassy in Berlin. Now during Christmas time a close reletive passed away. I need to fly to South Africa urgently. My problem is if I leave Germany with emergency certificate I won’t be able to come back to my family and I also have a work permit meaning I have a job. If possible my passport is ready I guess my man has to post it back to me. How can I go back to Germany? Please help, Do I need to apply for visa? I want to leave Germany in 10 days!

    • Hi Linda, sorry to hear about your loss.

      Sounds like quite a complicated situation. Without being in possession of a valid passport and permit to be in Germany I don’t see them letting you back in. I would contact the SA Embassy to find out if they’d let your husband collect the passport on your behalf or if you need to be there to collect it yourself. If he can fetch it then I see no problem in him sending it to you. If he can’t you may need to apply for a new passport here in SA when you’re back and travel with your old passport and your new passport to show that you have permission to be in Germany.

      This is unfortunately an area I don’t have a lot of expertise in, so to be 100% sure I suggest that you contact German immigration and the SA embassy for advice.

  51. Hello Nick Paul, thank you for your reply. Well I drove to the embassy on Monday 5th in order to apply for a travel certificate, took 12 hours driving from Cologne to Berlin and back. Unfortunately all was in vain

  52. Good afternoon. I need your assistance with regard to German visa application. I got a job as an au pair in Germany, I dont know what type of visa to apply for. What type of documents I should require from my sponsor family. I’m gonna be staying with them between 12-24 months. Please help. Thank you

    • Hi Ntswaki,

      Thanks for getting in touch! Congratulations on your job offer! Sounds amazing, and sure you will love Germany. Wonderful country.
      I would suggest you contact Rose (Republic of Service Excellence)
      They specialize in visa requirements and will be able to give the most up to date information, advise on the correct procedure and what documentation is required when applying.

      Johannesburg Regional Office

      Tel: 0100015060

      Alternatively you may contact the German Embassy direct who should also be able to assist accordingly.

      German Consulate: 021 405 3000 (Cape Town)

      Best of Luck!

  53. Our choir (38 members) is travelling to Germany for the 9th International Brahms Choir festival and competition. Do all members need to book an appointment at the visa application centre or we can do a block booking?

    • Hi Amanda,

      Thanks for reaching out.

      To my knowledge each person needs to apply in person. One is not able to make a block booking.

      You are welcome to contact the German Embassy direct if you need further information and make the necessary appointment:

      Address: 180 Blackwood Street, Pretoria, 0007
      Phone:012 427 8900

      Best of Luck

  54. Hi there I am planing on a trip to Germany, but I wont be flying direct to Germany as I want to stay in Amsterdam for a few days, so the port of Entry I will be using is Netherlands then taking the train to Germany and staying there for about 3 to 4 weeks and then going to Amsterdam for the rest of the stay. I just want to find out on how to apply to be in two placers i can get a letter from my friend that stays in Amsterdam but have no connections in Germany, and also want to find out as i see that they want proof of payment of the accommodation as i dont want to pay online as i am a back traveler and like to see were i would like to say when i am that side, my plans are to be there in December till January

    • Hi Hans,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      If you will be traveling around Germany for most of your travels, then you would need to apply for a Schengen visa through German Embassy.

      They will need to see proof of accommodation along with other important documentation. I would suggest contacting them, to see if they will accept the booking of accommodation without payment for now. You could always cancel the booking after.

      This is up to the consulates discretion and only they will be able to confirm if this would be accepted or not as they are granting the visa.

      Their contact details are:

      Embassy : Germany

      Address: 180 Blackwood Street, Pretoria, 0007
      Phone:012 427 8900

      Best of Luck!

  55. We will be travelling to germany soon and are in the process of applying for our Schengen Visas. My wife has not updated her passport since we got married, and now the surname on her passport differs from some of the other documentation, like bank statements and travel insurance. Will a marriage certificate be enough to get this application through?

    • Hi Jan,

      Thanks for reaching out.

      This is an interesting question. To my knowledge it should be ok, if the marriage certificate is certified.

      However I do suggest you contact the Embassy before you apply, to see what feedback they give. As they will be the ones who are granting the visa, and know exactly what documents they will accept or not.

      Best of Luck!

  56. Hi im a Zim national on 90 days visa in SA (Durban) i was told that i can apply for a visa to Amsterdam our final destination is Spain. Im married to a british national we want to Exercise the freedom of movement is it possible to apply it here in SA or I need to go back and is there a way we can get the visa faster than the usual time.

    • Hi Simbarashe,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      To my knowledge you will need to apply for your Schengen visa in your home country. You mentioned you wanted to apply for a visa to Amsterdam while in Spain. Spain and Netherlands both fall under the Schengen states. If you have a visa which allows you to enter Spain, this will cover you for the Netherlands too.

      However my suggestion would be is to contact the Dutch Embassy while in South African. They should be able to shed further light and answer any queries you might have.

      Their contact number is: (+27)31 266 9291

      Best of Luck!

  57. I am South African employed full time. I have booked return flights to Cape Town to London to visit my boyfriend ( German national) living and working in The UK for 10 days. We will be travelling to Paris and Berlin before entering the UK and I departing back to Cape Town. I am worried about 2 things. When applying for my visa I am expected to illustrate that I have 40 Euros for the day. I have just apartments so my account balance is not great but the time of my travels I would have been made and back to a healthy balance. Will this affect my negatively application?

    • Hi Rachael,

      Thanks for getting in touch!

      When applying for a visa, there are certain requirements one has to meet in order for the visa officials to consider granting you a visa.

      On of them being, you have to prove you have sufficient funds to support yourself, while abroad.

      This will have an impact whether your visa will be granted if you are not able to meet all the visa requirements.

  58. Hai, i hope you can help? I just would like to know, I don’t have enough funds for my Schengen visa for Germany, but my friend from Germany will be sponsoring the whole trip, and stated so on her letter of invitation,will this effect my visa applications?

    • Hi Barend,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      Yes this will effect your visa application. One of the requirements when applying for a Schengen visa is the Consulate needs to see you have enough funds to support yourself while visiting the country. Even though you still need a letter of invitation one of the other requirements is sufficient funds.

  59. Hi there, could you please help. My fiance is German and I am South African. We are currently living here is SA and going on holiday to Germany in September. We would like to get married whI’ll there. If possible, what documentation would I need and is there any type of procedure we need to go through prior to our trip.

    • Hi Brent,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      I am afraid we do not specialise in that area with regards to people wanting to get married abroad and what documents are required.

      It’s best you contact the German Embassy direct and they will be able to shed more light on what documents are required when wanting to get married in Germany.

      The information I can provide you with is for a normal Tourist Visa but I am not sure if that covers one for wanting to get married there while visiting.

      a) German Embassy – Visa Section
      “Hadefields” Building B – 1st Floor, Embassy House, 1267 Pretorius St, Hatfield, PRETORIA
      Visa Enquiries Tel: 012 427-8974
      Collections: Mon-Thur 1330 -1530. No collections on Fridays.
      Fax: 012 427-8984

      REQUIREMENTS: → Schengen countries for terms and conditions of a Schengen short stay visa and application procedures for multi-destinations.
      Additional visa Requirements to the Standard Schengen visa requirements:

      • Please ensure there are 3 free pages in the passport.
      • An airport transit visa is not required for SA citizens
      • A transit visa is required for SA citizens if they leave the transit lounge. A transit visa is not required if they stay in the transit lounge.
      • All groups over 10 must first write an e-mail to before applying.

      •• Bank statements of the last 3 months (not from internet) for all first time travellers to Germany (business or visitor)


      Visas valid strictly as per dates specified on application form.

      5-15 working days.
      Please ensure that visa applications reach the issuing authorities at least 1 week before departure date. No on-the-spot Schengen visa will be issued.

      Subject to change under Schengen Agreement

      The price of the visa is calculated in Euros but has to be paid in South African Rands at the CURRENT rate of exchange in cash upon application. Due to the exchange rate the prices may vary so applicants should carry extra cash or confirm current prices telephonically.

      Airport transit visa: EURO 60
      Transit visa: EURO 60
      Tourist visa: EURO 60
      Business visa: EURO 60

      The Consulate-General in Cape Town AND the Embassy in Pretoria accepts cash only.

  60. I am Nigerian presently on a work permit in south Africa and I do intend to travel to France for a conference. Is it possible for me to apply here in South Africa? Or must I be a permanent resident of the South Africa.

    • Hi Chipo,

      Thanks for contacting us. I’m afraid I won’t be able to advise on where you need to apply for your Schengen visa as we specialise in passengers holding South African passports.

      I suggest you will need to check with the official issuing authorities:

      a) French Consulate-General:
      191 Jan Smuts Ave, 3rd Floor, Standard Bank Bldg Corner Jan Smuts & 7th Ave, Rosebank,
      Johannesburg 2001.
      PO Box 1027, Parklands 2121
      Tel: 011 778 5600
      Fax: 011 778 5602

      b) French Consulate:
      1 Dean Street (78 Queen Victoria Street)
      Gardens, Cape Town
      PO Box 1702, Cape Town, 8000
      Tel: 021 4231575
      Fax: 021 4248470.
      O/hrs: Individuals: Mon-Fri 09h00 – 12h00
      O/hrs: Travel agents/couriers: 09h00 – 11h00

  61. Hi there,

    I would like to know what is needed for a job seeker visa. I tried looking at the website but there was no info about the job seeker visa, unless I didn’t look hard enough. I just need to know what documents I need and the steps I need to take.
    Another thing I would like to know is whether my Game Ranging and Wildlife Management qualifications would allow me to either get a job, study or do vocational training/ ongoing education in Germany. Would it be possible for me to do an apprenticeship over there? I can speak and understand German pretty well but I’ll still have to take a language course.
    The reason I’m asking is because I’m in a serious relationship with a German citizen and I will do anything to be with her. We originally planned for her to live and work here in South Africa but unfortunately because of how corrupt and greedy the vet council of South Africa is, this is no longer possible…

    Please advise on what steps to take to get over to Germany to live and work. I’m sorry for the soppy story, I wouldn’t usually do that but I am at a loss and desperate.

    • Hi Dwayne,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      Unfortunately we do not specialize in work visa. To my knowledge you would need a job before applying for a visa.

      Usually its skilled workers which countries are looking for. I would suggest contacting a visa company who specilise in this and they would be able to answer any queries you might have or the consulate direct.

      Best of Luck!

  62. HI there,
    I am SA citizen, have a valid Polish passport (As Polish citizen living abroad, without resident ID in Poland) I am planning a trip to visiting a friend in Germany in Aug. this year.
    Could you please kindly let me know:
    1.Polish passport (as living on aboard without Polish resident ID) can entrance Germany without trouble?
    2. Is ok without South Africa Customs exit stamp on the Polish passport, as by South Africa law it only stamps on the South Africa passport when citizen is in/out South Africa customs control.
    Looking forward to hear from you.
    many thanks

    • Hi Jane,

      Thanks for contacting us. I’m afraid I won’t be able to advise you on this as we specialise in South African travelers holding SA passports.

      You’ll need to check with the German Embassy. To my knowledge you should not have a problem as Poland is part of the Schengen state like Germany. But we suggest you contact them direct.

  63. Hi,

    I will be applying for my visa today (17 June) and my flight is on the 26th (9 days from today until then).
    Due to misinformation, I am late in applying for my visa.
    Will my application still be processed or will they refuse? And might I get my visa in time?
    Might the grant me priority?


    • Hi Derek,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      The processing time for a German Schengen visa is 5-15 working days.
      Please ensure that visa applications reach the issuing authorities at least 1 week before departure date. No on-the-spot Schengen visa will be issued.

      If you have any further questions you welcome to contact the Embassy direct they should be able to answer any queries you might have.

  64. I am a male ( 27) South African I’m intending on spending an indefinite stretch in Germany (preferably long-term)… I am in the hospitality industry. I have hosts, employment, but never completed my tertiary education. I am currently learning German.
    I know that attaining a work visa is going to be hard/if possible-(from this end especially).
    I know that my chances are better if the company I work for there help me to obtain this visa( for work ) it will be easier. but that is still in its prospective stages.
    My other query is how do I go about securing a work permit ( I believe that its is easier to obtain in Germany)

    please could somebody shed some light on this for me.

    • HI Dave,

      Thank you for getting in touch.

      I am afraid we do not specialize in work permits for abroad. To my knowledge if you are a South African passport holder a company in Germany will need to employ you and assist in attaining a work permit.

      Best of Luck!

  65. Hie there

    After submitting for visa application, can l track and see the progress of proccessing?

    Kindly Masiza

    • Hi Masiza,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      It depends on what Embassy. I suggest you contact the visa agency you applied through and they will be able to answer any queries you might have.

  66. Hi I’m an RSA citizen I got an opportunity to go to Germany for youth exchange program me (sports) I have applied for the visa and the requirements to get visa also state that they need qualifications and so on, I do not have a matric is that going to be a problem? Will they deny me visa??

    • Hi Nom,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      We are not able to say as this will be up to the discretion of the Germany Embassy as they grant the visa’s.

  67. Do you require a transit visa as a South African Citizen for Germany – Frankfurt International Airport

    • Hi Tanya,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      If you are only transiting through one European city a transit visa is not required by a South African passport holder.

      I do suggest contacting the German Embassy or the official handling agency just to double check.

  68. I am travelling to Germany in November. I have chronic medication that I carry with me. Will there be any problem with it. Thanks

    • Hi Anabel, just get a doctor’s letter to say that you have been prescribed this medication for a chronic condition and everything should be fine.

  69. Hello im bangladeahe citizen but now i m stay in south afrika i wnt to visit garmany so how do i get visa plz advise me

    • Hi Kalam,

      Thanks for contacting us.

      I’m afraid I won’t be able to advise you on the visa requirements for a Bangladeshi passport holders as we specialise in South African travellers.

      I suggest you contact the German Embassy direct and they will be able to assist with any queries you might have.

  70. Hi, I am a RSA citizen living in Germany. My niece (20 years old) in SA wants to do a German language course here in Germany. I contacted the School, they offer up to 5 months courses. What is the requirements to get a visa like that. Can you please advise me.

    • Hi Adwena,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      I’m afraid we do not specialize in that. You can contact the visa application center, Visalink Intergate. They should be able to answer any questions you might have with regards to what visa is required and the document ions needed.

      Their contact details are: or email:

  71. Hello. I am having some trouble finding information on a spousal visa for germany. I am south african and my husband is croatian and has just relocated to germany. I need tojoin him there but I am having a hard time fetting the right info about the spousal visa and its requirements. Please help!

    • Hi Tanya,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      Unfortunately we do not specialise in this are with regards to spousal visa’s. I suggest you contact the official visa handling agency Visalink they should be able to shed more light on this and answer any questions you may have.

      You can go onto their website or contact them via e-mail, please find contact details below. or email:

  72. Hello, please I’m a south African with a south passport but living in Germany with a german residence permit. I want to know if I will still need visa to visit a friend in London. Thanks

    • Hi Lucas,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      Yes you would need a visa to enter the UK as you are traveling on a South African passport.

  73. Hi,

    I’m a South African currently living and working in America. I am here on a working visa. I’d love to visit some family In Germany in the new year. Do I need to apply for a visa and how or where would I do that?

    Thank you for your assistance.


    • Hi Robyn-jade,

      Yes all South African passport holders wanting to visit a Schengen state needs to apply for a visa through the Embassy or the official visa handling agency.

      You will need to contact them direct and they will be able to advise on the correct procedures to follow and what documents are required.

  74. hi guys, please help.. I want to organise visas for my children and my husband. my husband who’s a German citizen also needs to renew his work permit to work in SA. I just want to know roughly how much am I looking at paying for 4x holiday visas and my husband’s work permit.

    many thanks Emelda

    • Hi Emelda,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      I’m afraid we do not specialize in visa’s cost’s. You would need to contact the Embassy or the official visa handling agency they would be able to advise on cost and the correct procedures to follow.

  75. Please leave your comment…Pls I need ur help. I’m a Ghanaian living in south africa, how can i apply for Germany visa in ghana by posting my passport to Ghana?

    • Hi Emie,

      I’m afraid I won’t be able to advise you on the requirements for a Ghanaian passport holder as we specialize in South African travelers.

      You will need to contact the Embassy direct. They will be able to advise on the correct procedures to follow and where to apply.

  76. Need advice my visa was rejected on sa paspoort they said information regarding justification for the porpose and conditions of the intended stay was not reliable what should i do??

    • Hi Ihsan,

      Thanks for contacting us.

      I’m afraid we do not specialize in visa queries. For this you need to contact the official visa handling agency or Embassy direct who will be able to advise accordingly and answer any questions you might have.

  77. Hi,

    Does the visa application take a full 3 weeks?

    We need to be in Germany 6 April, will there be enough time to apply via the German embassy, or should I rather use an embassy that is willing to expedite an application? According to the call centre they do not have an priority service?

    • Hi Francois,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      I’m afraid we do not specialize in visa’s and would not have access to their data base if their is a back log or not. Some visa process take longer then others depending on the time of year you apply (if its over or before school holidays) the waiting period is usually longer.

      To my knowledge you need to apply through the Embassy or official visa handling agency of the country you are staying the longest. However for the most up to date information you will need to contact them direct they will be able to assist in answering any visa related questions you might have.

  78. Hello,

    I am a student and visiting a boyfriend in Germany. I am in the process of applying for a month’s stay VISA. He will provide for accommodation, transport and most food. I’m unemployed, thus my 3 months bank statement won’t reflect enough to cover the minimum daily required amount in Germany. Will this be a problem?

    I also want to know about my medical aid options in Germany. Which plans would be best for an unemployed, visiting ‘tourist’ for a couple of weeks?

    And lastly, what are the steps for the letter of invitation my boyfriend will have to provide? Must I also provide one on my own part to confirm his? Where can I do this?

    • Hi Noli,

      thanks for getting in touch.

      You will need sufficient funds in your bank account showing you have enough money to cover you while abroad. If you are not able to provide all the necessary documents they require as well as show you have sufficient funds the Embassy will not grant your visa.

      With regards to Travel Insurance we sell a comprehensive travel insurance which all the Embassy accept, as it covers one for the correct amount they are looking for.

      I would suggest you contact the Embassy direct as they are the ones who are granting the visa’s and will be able to advise on the most up to date information.

  79. Good afternoon

    I would like to check whether there are any time limitations in a Schengen visa. I travelled to Hamburg and Amsterdam two months ago and would like to go back in a month but I’m not sure whether I’ll be issued another visa as a friend said I need to wait 6 months before reapplying. Please advise.

    Thank you!

    • Hi Andrea,

      Thanks for contacting us.

      To my knowledge you will need to see if your previous Schengen visa has expired as usually they issue them for 6 months on 30 days (example) so you are permitted to say for 30 days in the 6 months period.

      However as we do not specialize in visas I would recommend you contact the Embassy direct they will be able to provide you with the most up to date information.

  80. Hi there

    I have applied for a standard short-term Schengen travel visa… I would like to know if it would be possible to engage in musical activities in Europe (i.e. DJing in clubs), or do I need special documents for this?


    • Hi Dean,

      Thanks for contacting us.

      One is not permitted to work on a Schengen Travel visa.

      You are welcome to contact the Embassy of the country you applied for the visa or the official visa handling agency. As they specialize in this area they will be able to provide you with the most up to date information.

  81. Sorry its not a comments
    Am from Ghana and l am working here in SA as a hairstylist with a working permit
    I want to go on one month Holidays in Germany
    How can you help me with my Visa, Ticket and Hotel?

    • Hi there,

      I’m afraid I won’t be able to advise you on the requirements for a Ghanaian passport holder as we specialise in South African travellers.

      For this you will need to contact the Embassy direct they will be able to advise on the cost, correct procedures to follow and what documentation will be required.

      We can assist you with a quote for flights and accommodation. Should you wish to get assistance in making a reservation, we have a team of Travel Experts that would love to help.
      You can contact Travelbar by calling 021 468 4300 (Monday – Friday) or by sending an email to with all details exact dates, routing and number of passengers and they will get back to you with 2 working days.

  82. Hi

    I’m applying for a student visa to go study in Germany as I have been accepted there. The earliest possible date I could get for an appointment is the 21st of September. However, school starts on the 5th of October. Is it possible that I could be issued a Visa within two weeks? Do I have the option to expedite the application and processing for a student visa? Where can I find a travel agent to help with this process.

    Thanks for the help 🙂

    • Hi Mandy,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      I’m afraid we do not specialize in visas.

      I have looked on the following website:

      The processing time for visa applications (short-term) is a minimum of seven working days. If you apply for long-term residence permits or an Employment visa, processing time will be several months.

      However the above information could always change as sometimes they have a back log and the visa processing time could take longer.

      I’m afraid we do not have access to the Embassy’s data base and you would need to contact them direct they should be able to give you further information.

  83. Greetings

    I got accepted to go do my MBA in Bonn Rhein Sieg Germany. I have been struggling with a blocked account and finally my german partner decided to do a formal obligation letter for me because time is running. I finally went to Cape town embassy to submit my documents. Ive been to Germany 5 times and studied abroad in the USA before. The lady told me if the university calls the embassy asking about the progress and my status, that will slow down the process. How true is that? How possible is it for me to get response earlier than a month my classes start next week. I sent my documents inclusing my bank statement reflecting enough funds. what are the chances for them to give me the visa or reject it?

    • Hi there,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      I’m afraid we are not the ones granting the visa’s so are not able to advise if you will receive it or how long it will take. Sometimes they have a backlog which also delays the visa process.

  84. Hi

    I’m travelling to Germany in a months time on business for about two weeks and will take a week off to travel Europe. Will I be able to travel for the last week of my trip on a business visa or do I have to get a tourist visa in addition to the business visa?


    • Hi Nathan,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      To my knowledge this should be fine, using the last couple of days in Europe for leisure after you have finished your business trip.

      However I would advise you contact the embassy direct to get the most up to date information.

  85. Hi,

    I need some help. I got an email saying my long stay visa for Germany is ready.
    I am going on a language course which is 4 months long.

    Would it be possible to extend my visa while in Germany or would I have to come back to South Africa. My course starts end of Febuary and ends end of June. I haven’t booked my flight as yet as I hoping to be able to book a one way ticket.


    • Hi there,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      I’m afraid we do not specialize in this area of extending / granting visa’s. Please contact the Embassy direct, they would be able to shed more light and provide you with the most up to date information.

  86. Hey!

    Im from South Africa and immigrated to Germany. my Parents wants to come visit me here but they dont have health Insurance. What other options do they have, what can we do?

    Many Thanks

    • Hi there,

      Thanks for contacting us.

      For this you would need to contact the Embassy direct, they will be able to advise what documents are required when applying for a visa and what travel insurance is required when applying.

  87. Hi I want to imigrate to Berlin Germany what would the requirements be. Im a South African citizen and in Joburg thanks

    • Hi Lisa,

      Thanks for contacting us.

      I’m afraid we do not specialise with visa related queries or people wanting ti immigrate. For this you will need to contact the Embassy direct.

      They will be able to advise on the cost, correct procedures to follow and what documentation will be required.

  88. Hi, I’m a South African living and working in China. I would like to visit friends in Germany. Can I apply for a visa at the German embassy in Beijing?

    • Hi Verushca,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      We do not specialise in this area but to my knowledge this should be possible.

      However I would suggest you contact the German Embassy in Beijing as they would be able to advise if it would be possible to apply for a Schengen visa while living abroad in China.

  89. Hi, I’m a South African with the potential to work in Germany from September 1st 2017. This requires a long-term visa application which takes 2-3 months (hence, apply by early June 2017). However, I wish to travel to Germany in the interim (July) which will again require a Schengen visa (which will only take 5 days to receive).

    The issue is then, if I hand in my passport in June for the long-term visa… how do I travel to Germany for 2 weeks in July, or more generally, how can I travel anywhere within that 3 month waiting period. Either I have to legally acquire a second passport (but Germany won’t accept temp passports), or I have to see if the German office in Pretoria will let me keep my passport until it’s requried at the end.

    Any experiences of know-how? Thank you

    • Hi Charles,

      thanks for the interesting question. For this you would need to contact the Germany Embassy direct to see what advise they would give you and what is permitted from their side.

      As they are the ones granting the visa’s only they would be able to provide you with the most up to date information on the correct procedures to follow.

      Best of luck.

  90. Hi there, my mom coming from South Africa to visit me in Germany. Should she wish to stay longer is it possible to extend the visa in Germany? If so’ what is the process?

    • Hi Jakes,

      Thanks for getting in touch and the interesting questions.

      For this you would need to contact the Embassy direct. As they are the ones who are granting the visa’s they will be able to provide you with the most up to date info if they will do an extension or not.

      What I would advise is to find out this information before your mom departs and see if her ticket is changeable before she purchases it.

  91. Hi is it possible to apply for a German (Schengen) visa in Durban or does one have to travel to Pretoria?
    i will be visiting Germany in December 2017

    • Hi Linda,

      Thanks for contacting us. I’m afraid we don’t specialise in visa related queries however I did find the following info.

      “Visa information is not guaranteed. Kindly confirm details with the relevant authorities.

      Durban office is equipped for biometric visa applications. All applications have to be done online then printed and handed in when applying. Please see Applicants without an appointment are attended to on a first come, first served basis between appointments.

      Below are their contact details:

      Honorary Consulate – Durban
      Telephone No : (031) 266-3920
      Appointments : 0861 002 245
      Fax No : (031) 266-3925
      Street Address : 9 Kensington Drive, Westville, Durban, 3629 (opposite the Westville Mall, Inspirations travel premises)
      Postal Address : P.O. Box 1166 Westville, 3630
      Email : or
      Website :

  92. Hi there,
    I will be visiting Germany and Italy next year June 2018, with a travel Schengen visa. I will be entering Germany first where I will be spending ± 6 days and then travelling via train to Italy for ± 12 days. Italy will also be the country of departure. Which visa handling agency should I use – Germany or Italy? Thank you kindly

    • Hi Melanie,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      We do not specialise in visa’s however it usually is the country where you are staying the longest,

      I would recommend you contact the Italian consulate and they would be able to provide you with the most up to date information.

      Their contact details are:

      Consulate-General of Italy (Johannesburg)
      Telephone No : (011) 728 1392/3

      Consulate of Italy (Cape Town)
      Telephone No : (021) 487 3900

  93. Hello there!

    I have a questions, I hope someone can point me in the direction that I can find the answer, or maybe give an answer.

    I have a friend that lives in South Africa that wants to visit me here in Germany, I received and E-mail the other day from him saying that he needs a “Letter of Invitation” is what we’ll call it and a color copy of my passport, I can’t find anything online verifying this.

    Can anyone help?
    Thank you.

    • Hi Jacob,

      I’ve found the following online, however it does say to please contact the Embassy for the most up to date info.

      You can contact the Embassy or the official visa handling agency, and they will be able to help with any visa related queries: correct procedure to follow, cost and what documents would be needed.

      The following documents have to be submitted / completed Intergate German
      1 One completed visa application
       Will be sent to you via email or alternatively printed at the Visa Application Centre.
      Needs to be fully completed and signed and dated by applicant.
       If the applicant is under the age of 18, the application form has to be signed by both
      parents / legal guardians
       Parent/s or Legal guardian/s including minor should be present at the appointment.
       In absence of a parent/s during the appointment: POA and written signed statement
      explaining why they were not able to be present at the time of appointment.
      □ □
      2 Passport
       Validity minimum 90 days from the date of expiry of the requested Visa
       Passport must be signed and must contain at least 2 empty visa pages for entry and
      departure stamp
       Non- South African citizens must hold a valid residency / work permit which allows
      re-entry to South Africa upon the end of the journey
       Previous passports (non SA citizens)
       Applicant exiting Germany and returning to South Africa via another country should
      present the relevant visa for the country
      □ □
      3 Photocopies
       2 passport copies of pages containing personal data
       Copies of all previous Schengen Visa(s) – even if in old Passports
       Provide copies of all original documents
      □ □
      4 One recent biometric passport sized photograph
       Should not be older than 6 months
       Please read the guidelines attached to your confirmation email
      □ □
      Document confirming employment situation (including name of the company,
      address, telephone number, email, signature etc.)
       Employees: Current letter of employment with original signature (no contracts)
       Freelancers: Proof of your engagements (invoices,receipts,etc.)
       Self-employed: Company registration document (CK1/CK2/CM22)/ Letter from
      Accountant/ Letter from SARS
       Scholars/Students: Current proof of school/university registration confirming that the
      student is exempt from attending lectures during the requested travel period with an
      original signature
       Medical Doctors: valid Licence to practice from HPSCA
       Lawyers: Proof of registration with Law Association
       Unemployed/Retired: Proof of Residence required (utility bill/rental agreement/signed
      letter from property owner with ID copy)
      □ □
      Documents reflecting the nature of the trip
       Signed letter of invitation from private person (stating relationship) + passport copy +
      residency permit in Germany full address, telephone, email and contact person
       If inviting person is non EU (copy of permit required in addition to passport)
       Legalised letter of invitation or concert/sport event tickets
       Package Tour/ Cruises/ Individual Trips (proof of accommodation for every day)
      □ □
      Documents confirming sufficient funds (60,00 Euro per person/per day) for the trip
       Current 3 months stamped bank statement of private bank account – savings or
      Legalized letter of obligation (“Verpflichtungserklärung” according to §§ 66-68
      AufenthG with proof of funds) + passport copy of the host + written statement
      explaining the relationship between the inviting party and the applicant
       Note: no credit card statements
       Only applicable if Self Employed, 3 months stamped business Bank statements
      □ □
      Flight-ticket and proof of accommodation
       Round trip flight reservations or travel itinerary with name and dates
       Proof of accommodation with full address for the entire time of stay in the Schengen
      State(s) /signed invitation letter and passport copy from a host in Germany with full
      address, telephone, email, etc.
       If applicable, proof of travel between EU/Schengen states(car rental/flights/train-bus
      □ □
      Overseas medical travel insurance for Schengen States/Europe
       Certificate of Insurance valid for the entire duration of the requested Visa
       Minimum coverage of EUR 30,000 and repatriation
       Conditions must be stated either on insurance document or on separate visa letter
      (Please note: Medical insurances connected to credit cards are not accepted)
       Insurance must cover Schengen States
      □ □
      For accompanying minors (younger than 18 years of age)
       Full unabridged birth certificate ( containing fathers and mothers name )
       Full unabridged marriage certificate of the parents
       Guardian’s/ parents declaration of consent signed by both guardians / parents
       Copy of first page of passport of minor and parents/legal guardian(s)
       Court ruling in case of custody / death certificate
      Please note: In the absence of one parent during the appointment, the absent party
      must have signed a power of attorney ( please go to for more
      information )
       The processing time for Visa applications takes 15 days according to the Schengen Visa Codex. The German missions and Intergate are committed to
      keep the processing time to a minimum.
       All documents must be submitted in German or English language
       Only complete applications can be accepted; Non-submission of necessary documentation may lead to a refusal
       During the processing period the passport has to remain with the German missions. Passports can only be withdrawn if a written request, signed by the
      applicant, is received. Consequently the application will be cancelled and the passport will be available for collection within 2 working days from
       False or falsified documents will lead to refusal of visa and/ or further consequences
       The German missions reserve the right to ask for further supporting documents / information
       Visa extensions within Germany are generally not possible
       Applicants may not apply for permanent residence in Germany while on this Visa
       The German Mission may shorten the validity of the Visa without prior consultation
       in case of a one-year or multiple year visa being issued, the period of stay in a Schengen may not exceed 90 days within 180 days, this period of stay
      beginning with the first day of entry into the Schengen state.
       You may track your application on the website or contact the Call Center at +27 (0) 861 00 22 45
       Have you already had your fingerprints taken at an earlier application for a C-Schengenvisa ? If so, it may not be necessary for you to apply in person.
      However, in case the biometric capturing of your fingerprints failed or has been compromised due to a technical problem and cannot be used you must
      have your fingerprints taken again. In such case, you will be contacted by the mission or by “Intergate “respectively
       Third Party Applications:
      All required Documents must be presented including:
      1. Dated and Signed Visa application form by applicant
      2. Completed and signed Proof of Authorisation Form
      3. Proof of identification of representative
      4. All documents required as originals
       Applicant requests a Visa with extended validity □
       Applicant travels alone □ with family members □ with a group □
       Applicant has previously had a Shengen Visa and copies have been attached □
       Applicant has been advised that his documents are incomplete □
       Applicant has been advised that the application was submitted less than 15 days before departure □
      Additional comments:
      For the Visa applicant: I have read and agreed to

  94. Hi, im a south african citizen looking to travel to germany for the first time in april to visit a friend for 2 weeks and i will be staying at her house. could you advise what is needed from her side to apply for my visa? My flight and accommodation is covered, how much will i need to have per day in my account(will i need to have this in my account when i apply for my visa)? i dont have medical aid but my bank offers travel insurance on my cheque account will this be ok for my visa? I’m based in joburg, will i have to travel to pretoria to apply for my visa and how much will my visa cost me?

    • Hi there,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      Please contact the Embassy direct. As they are granting the visa’s they will advise you on the correct procedures you need to follow when applying for a visa. What documents they need you to have when applying as well as the cost.

      Their contact details are:

      German Consulate General (Cape Town)
      Tel Number : (021) 405 3000

      German Honorary Consulate General (Port Elizabeth)
      Tel Number : (041) 397 4721

      German Embassy (Pretoria)
      Tel Number : (012) 427 8900

  95. Very much impressive blog keep the good work up. I found this very informative. It helps me a lot. Love to wait for your next post.

  96. Thanks for sharing this post publicity. This information is very useful to common reader or I would say common man who searches for erotic entertainment. Eagerly waiting for your next article too.

  97. Hi There:

    I have a friend who has been invited by a sponsor to go and play music gigs in Germany and Switzerland.
    Is the above information (to Jacob) relevant in his case as well?
    The main question is – should the visa be initiated from South Africa or from Germany?


    • Hi Jacques,

      One needs to apply for a visa in their country of residence.

      However as we are not the ones granting the visa’s please contact the Embassy direct, they specialise in visa related queries and will be able to assist.

  98. Hi,
    We need to know more about the medical insurance please. In May we land in Hamburg, travel straight to Kiel and spend the night. Next day we leave for a 7 day Baltic Sea cruise. We had to pay compulsory insurance for this. On returning we go back to Hamburg, spend the night and fly home to ZA the next day. What else is needed to apply for the visa. I am also looking a visa application form that I can print, fill in and take to Durban.
    Thanks Wendy

    • Hi Wendy,

      I’m afraid we do not specialise in visa applications. For this you will need to contact the Embassy or official visa handling agency. They will be able to provide you with the most up to date information on what documents they require, the correct procedures to follow and cost of the Schengen visa.

  99. Hi,
    I will transiting through the Frankfurt Airport on the 19th May 2018, from Vancouver (Canada) to Johannesburg (South Africa). I will arrive at the airport around 11H00 am, and my next flight would be around 20H15. If I were to leave the airport for few hours, say get into a half day tour of Frankfurt City, do I need a transit visa to leave the airport for a few hours?

    • HI there,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      You would require a tourist visa as you will not be in transit you are passing through immigration and leaving the airport.

      Please contact the Embassy as they will be able to provide you with the most up to date information.

Have something to say...