UPDATED: 05 September 2014
All Schengen States (those states part of the common visa area) now require everyone to appear in person for biometric data to be collected. Greece is no exception, though travellers who have submitted their biometric data to Greece within the last 5 years may be allowed to submit their application through an authorised representative. We recommend checking with VFS which visa agencies they accept.
Requirements for the Greek Schengen visa:
A South African applicant must present:
- fully completed application form
- South African passport, valid for at least 3 months after your return from the trip
- Two recent colour passport photos (instruct the photographer to take visa quality photos)
- A return air ticket, booking is sufficient for application, but paid for ticket must then be presented on collection of passport from consulate/embassy
- Letter of employment from your boss stating position and leave period, on company letterhead OR 3 months bank statements and a proof of income if self-employed (a letter from company accountant stating the applicant’s position and salary from the company OR for pensioners, a proof of income and 3 months bank statements OR for students, letter of registration to a university/college, ID and employment of parents all certified by a commissioner of oaths
- Travel insurance covering at least R400,000 for hospitalisation and repatriation
- Confirmed hotel booking OR a sworn affidavit of invitation by a resident of Greece with a copy if ID, originals, faxed to the consulate directly
- Proof of foreign exchange OR credit card statement showing a suitable limit available for overseas use, ask your bank for this, it should include your name too. R600 per person per day is required with a minimum of R3600
- For minors: ID’s of both parents, unabridged birth certificate.
Greek visa application form:
Click to download the application form for South Africans
Cost of Schengen Visa for South Africans:
- Persons over 12 years: R840 visa fee + R280 service fee
- Persons under 12 years of age: R280 service fee only
The fee can be paid in cash to the following Nedbank account:
Bank Name: Nedbank
Branch Name: Corporate Client Services
Account Name: VFS Visa Processing (SA) (Pty) Ltd
Account No: 1049-566157
Reference: Passport Number
Pay by credit or debit card at the application centre
Where in South Africa you can apply for the Greek visa:
You will need to apply through the official handling agency VFS, for details, click: http://www.vfsglobal.com/greece/southafrica/ All applicants must schedule an appointment with VFS before appearing and the visas take 15 days to process.
Application centres can be found at:
- Johannesburg: 21st Floor Rivonia Village, Corner Rivonia Boulevard and Mutual Road, Sandton
- Cape Town: Office 504, 5th Floor, 47 On Strand, Strand Street
- Durban: Silver Oaks Office Park, Suite 3 Silver Oaks, 36 Silverton Road, Musgrave
The above information was correct at time of publishing, and was updated on 05 September 2014. Please double check all information with VFS before making an appointment.
Cover yourself against a denied visa:
Are you nervous about having a visa application denied and losing all your hard-earned money spent on your flights? Check out our Visa Denied Service!
Photo from aitorgavi on Flickr.