SAB World of Beer Tour – Johannesburg
If beer is something you simply can’t imagine living without, then perhaps it’s time for you to back up your love with some solid historical knowledge on your favourite refreshing beverage. South African Breweries Limited (SAB) has been brewing this magic elixir since 1895, and in their Johannesburg World of Beer tour they pass some of that wisdom, history, and culture on to you.
What to Expect on the Tour
- Welcome: Charles Glass, the genius brewmaster who brought us Castle lager, welcomes you to the tour on 6 massive screens.
- Elements: Learn the role of the elements of earth, wind, fire, and water in the brewing process.
- Hathor’s Hall: Get some background on how ancient beer was brewed and how the love for it spread to the rest of the world.
- Africa: In this mock-African village you’ll gain some insight into the culture of African beer, i.e. Umqombothi (don’t worry; you get to try it later!).
- Europe: Learn how a European first made beer as the clear and golden version that it is today.
- Green Fields Greenhouse: Get up close and personal with the main players; barley and hops.
- Beer in the Cape: Learn how beer arrived through the Cape Town harbours.
- Sowetan Shebeen: The rise of shebeens under the oppressive past South African government.
- Barley Tasting: Follow the first step in the beer making process – the malting process.
- The Brewing Process: See what vats are used in this process.
- Brands of SAB: Explore and learn a bit more about the various types of beer of SAB
- Celebration Hall: Watch a short movie portraying the culture of beer and its associations with enjoyment and socialisation.