Fly with kulula airlines
Getting to know kulula Airlines
"Welcome on board this kulula Airlines flight to Durban. Please pay attention to the safety announcement, because you will be writing a test shortly.” kulula humour has been the unofficial trademark of South Africa’s first low cost airline since launching operations in 2001.
The name kulula is derived from the Zulu word for ‘easily’ and this is exactly how the airline operates.
As a no frills, no fuss budget airline in South Africa, kulula Air aims to provide a hassle free experience for customers from check in, to their tongue-in-cheek inflight services and safety demonstrations. No matter which way you look at it, kulula Airlines really is a fun way to fly.
Book cheap kulula flights with Travelstart today!
Why fly with kulula
- Been transporting South Africans across the skies for 15 years since 2001
- Winner of the Best African Low-cost Airline’ in the 2015 Business Traveller Africa Awards
- Runner up at the third annual SimpliFlying Awards for Excellence in Social Media
Your kulula flight entitles you to one free checked bag weighing up to 20kg and one piece of hand baggage weighing up to 7kg plus a slimline laptop bag or small handbag.
Anything above this resctrictiion, means you can stress or simply purchase extra bags online at a discounted rate or at the airport. Any bag weighing between 20kg and 32kg will incur a heavy bag fee at the airport.
kulula Airlines check in counters open 90 minutes before domestic flights depart and close 30 minutes before the flight departs. Bring your ID document, driver’s license or Passport as well as your Travelstart flight booking reference to check-in for your kulula flight.
All kulula flights use the code MN. For example, a flight from Johannesburg to Cape Town on kulula could be called MN6441 - this is the number that will be on your air ticket/boarding pass after checking in for your kulula Airlines flight.
kulula only offers its passengers economy class seating
Food on board
The kulula inflight experience is enhanced by the pay-onboard catering service. Pay cash or by credit card for a variety of enjoyable snacks and beverages by Woolworths on all kulula flights. The airline also caters for vegetarians.
Travelling with Pets
In accordance with international standards, kulula Airlines won’t accept the following pets for travel:
- Puppies under 10 weeks old
- All Mammals declared to be pregnant unless accompanied by a veterinary health certificate certifying that the animal is fit to travel and less than 6 weeks into the gestation period, and there is no risk of birth occurring during the journey.
- Nursing females with suckling young
- In accordance with the IATA Live Animal Regulations (LAR) ZAG – 01 that states the “South African Government regulations prohibit the carriage of all live animals destined for or in transit through the Republic of South Africa as excess baggage. Live animals destined for or in transit through the Republic of South Africa may only be shipped as manifested cargo.”
- Unaccompanied pets can't be checked in at the airport but must be taken to the kulula cargo agent
- Reservations for a particular kulula flight of your choice should be confirmed 24 hours prior to departure with the Cargo Agent
- Once you've booked your kulula flight with Travelstart, please contact kulula on 0861 kulula (585852) to make a reservation for your pet at least 24 hours prior to departure.
- You must ensure that you obtain the necessary health and vaccination certificates and other documentation needed for the animal as these may be requested at the airport prior to travel. If you fail to present these on request, kulula may refuse carriage of your pet. A quick visit or call to the vet will sort this out to ensure your pet has been inoculated against most diseases.
- As per general airline policy for travvelling with pets, it is the pet owner's responsibility to ensure the animal is suitably sedated so as to lessen any anxiety or stress while flying. It is suggested that you discuss this with your vet prior to travel who will advise you according to the type of pet and its disposition.
As a major player in South Africa, kulula’s fleet flies to all centres in South Africa including Lanseria airport in the north of Johannesburg.
Scheduled flights are only offered between the following destinations
- Cape Town
- Johannesburg (O.R. Tambo)
- East London
- Nairobi - Kenya
As the budget airline arm of British Airways Comair in South Africa, kulula has helped make domestic travel in South Africa affordable.The kulula fleet is green and their livery varies from flashy designs that adorn the sides of their planes to the ever-recognisable mambo green they're known for. Some memorable livery includes the ‘This Way Up’ plane and the ‘Flying 101’ design.
The kulula Boeing 737 planes are fuel efficient and offer enhanced legroom in the low cost range.
|IATA code:||Hub Airport:||Alliance:||Loyalty program:||Inflight magazine:|
|MN||O.R. Tambo International||Oneworld||None||Khuluma|
The information on this page is correct as of October 2015. While every effort is made to keep information as fresh as possible, Travelstart.co.za takes no responsibility for any of the information being out of date or incorrectly noted.