Fly with Mango Airlines
Getting to know Mango Airlines
When someone in South Africa says they’re ‘flying Mango’ you could be forgiven for thinking they’re hurtling through the air on some kind of supernatural tropical fruit. Mango Airlines is one of South Africa’s leading low cost carriers and the budget arm of national carrier, South African Airways.
With its instantly recognizable orange colours, Mango Airlines first took to the skies in 2006 and continues to offer affordable flights to all major domestic hubs in South Africa. The Mango Airlines mission is simple: make domestic flying more accessible and fun for travellers within South Africa through cheap flight prices and great service.
Book cheap Mango flights with Travelstart today!
Why fly with Mango
- Stay connected while travelling with Mango by purchasing G-connect prepaid top up. With a prepaid top up, you can access either 3G, Wi-Fi, ADSL or In-Flight Wi-Fi.
- Have a breather by taking advantage of Mango’s on-board entertainment for your kids. Keep your kids entertained from take-off to landing. Simply purchase and unwind.
- You definitely want to be travelling with the airline that has been voted Africa's favourite low-cost airline by travel agents
Mango Airlines baggage allowances couldn’t be easier to understand:
- 20kg allowance per adult passenger
- 10kg allowance for infants
One piece of carry-on luggage is allowed per passenger and may not be larger than 56cm x 36cm x 23 cm or weigh more than 7kg.
Check in for your Mango flight at the airport at least an hour before departure, or you can use the online check in service to reserve your seat before you fly. Self-service check-in kiosks are also available at most South African airports. For Mango flights remember to check in with:
- Proof of identity (a valid passport, RSA ID book or valid driver's license)
- The credit card you used to make your Mango booking
- Your Travelstart e-ticket
- Children and infants must travel with their birth certificates as identification or RSA ID book
For safety reasons, passengers who require assistance, as well as those travelling with infants and children under 16 years, are not permitted to sit in emergency exit rows on Mango flights.
Mango arilines only offers economy class travel to its customers
Travelling with pets
Mango Airlines transports domestic pets only - dogs, cats, and small domestic birds. Your pet will be checked as cargo and will fly in a pressurized compartment in the belly of the aircraft – don’t worry this is a whole lot safer than it sounds.
- There’s a small charge of R30.00 per kilogram, the maximum weight being 32kg.
- Pets aren’t included in the checked baggage allowance.
- Each passenger can travel with two animals.
- Pet fees on Mango flights are only payable at the airport and that the number of pets allowed as cargo is subject to space availability.
Once you’ve booked your Mango flight with Travelstart, contact the Mango call centre on 0861 1MANGO (62646) to book your pet.
Mango specifies the following when it comes to flying with pets in South Africa:
- No pet containers are permitted in the passenger cabin of the aircraft
- It’s the passengers responsibility to supply suitable pet containers that are placed in the cargo hold
- The pet and the container cannot exceed a weight of more than 32kgs
- Only 1 animal is permitted in each container
- The container must be leak proof and must meet all government requirements for safe and humane transport
- Soft sided containers are not allowed in the cargo hold of the aircraft
- Containers must be made of metal, polyethylene, or fibreglass
- Containers are subject to inspection and approval by Mango Air
- Pet containers must be accompanied by a guest with a booking at check in
- One guest may transport two pet containers in the cargo department if there is space available
Buy on Board
Mango Airlines is a low cost carrier and operates as such. Smart and experienced cabin crew are on board to attend to your every need, however, all food, snacks and beverages are sold on a pay as you go basis and are not included in the flight ticket price. The aptly named Mango ‘Spaza’ offers travellers assorted sandwiches, coffee/tea, cooldrinks, wine and beer. There is also the Mango Kiddies Box available on board all FlyMango flights – this lucky dip is especially useful to keep the kids entertained on those longer flights between Johannesburg and Cape Town.
- Wi-Fi Access: Compatable with most Wi-Fi enabled devices, Mango airlines Wi-Fi service allows you to surf the web at 30 000 feet! Various pricing packages are available to suit your needs.
- Reading Material: The Mango Juice in-flight magazine is Mango's monthly publication and is available free to all passengers. The magazine is packed full of useful resources and articles for travellers and showcases the latest going’s on in South Africa’s major hubs.
- Mango TV:While in flight sit back and relax to a mix of locally produced programmes is just what you need if you feel like zoning out on your flight. Mango TV provides a welcome escape on your journey.
The white sands and turquoise seas of the Mother City are more accessible than ever with cheap Mango flights to Cape Town. Mango flights to Cape Town depart daily from Johannesburg (O.R. Tambo and Lanseria) as well as Durban’s King Shaka Airport. If you’re looking for flights from Bloemfontein to Cape Town on Mango, they depart everyday except Saturday.
Fly Mango to Lanseria. Mango Airlines introduced flights from Lanseria to Cape Town in June 2011. With 3 daily flights from Lanseria to Cape Town, Fly Mango is fulfilling a much needed demand for low cost flights to/from this private airport in Johannesburg’s northern suburbs.
EXCLUSIVE: Mango flights to Bloem
Mango Airlines is currently the only low cost carrier in South Africa offering flights to Bloemfontein (BFN) from Cape Town. Mango flights between Bloem and Cape Town are available everyday of the week except Saturday and the flight schedule is as follows:
- Cape Town – Bloemfontein departing CPT at 6:10am on JE 412 (Mon-Fri)
- Bloemfontein – Cape Town departing BFN at 8:30am on JE 413 (Mon-Fri)
- On Sundays, Mango flights to Bloemfontein from Cape Town depart at 7:00am and return at 9:25am
Flying time between the 2 cities is approximately 1 hour 40 minutes.
Mango's Orange Fleet
Mango operates eco-friendly Boeing B737-800 planes on all routes. FlyMango aircrafts seat 186 passengers with three adjacent seats on either side of the centre aisle in each row.
Having recently welcomed its sixth new generation Boeing 737-800 to their fleet; Mango passengers can look forward to optimised flight schedules and increased frequencies on all the major routes.
|IATA code:||Hub Airport:||Alliance:||Loyalty program:||Inflight magazine:|
|JE||O.R. Tambo International||Star Alliance||None||Mango Juice|
The information on this page is correct as of February 2016. While every effort is made to keep information as fresh as possible, Travelstart.co.za takes no responsibility for any of the information being out of date or incorrectly noted.