Fly To New York City, USA
According Alicia Keys, New York is the concrete jungle that dreams are made of, and with Travelstart these dreams can come true. With the iconic skyline; central park, which has been the set for hundreds of movies; and the huge number of shopping opportunities, it really is the city of dreams.
Why visit New York City?
- Don’t visit New York and forget Times Square! If anything exciting is happening, this is the place where it will be at!
- Take in the world’s largest inner-city park: Central Park. It even has its own zoo!
- Food and Culture! From Broadway to hot dogs, you can have the full American experience here!
( +1 hour for Daylight Savings time )
Weather in New York varies considerably, being warm to hot in summer and cold and damp in winter. It is a fantastic city to visit all year round, however. You can spend warm summer days in the parks, or do your Christmas shopping in the snow.
Whilst New York City is a metropolis of nationalities and languages, American English is the most spoken followed by Spanish, Chinese, French and Russian.
The New York accent is considered the most recognisable accent in America and, although you may need to google a few slang words, you will be able to understand most of the chatter.
- New York City has 14 miles of beaches
- New York has five zoos run by the Wildlife Conservation Society
- Scarlett Johansson and Tom Cruise are two famous New Yorkers who were born in the city
- The statue of Liberty is on an island and the exterior is made of copper, which turned green over the course of many years
- It is the most linguistically diverse city in the world
- New York is the most photographed city in the world due to its beauty and uniqueness
- It is known as the cultural capital of the world
- The city has beautiful architecture in all styles, some of which date back almost 500 years
A city pass will help you to get the most out of your stay in New York. A New York Pass gives you free entry to over 80 top attractions, including the beautiful Botanical gardens and the American Museum of Natural History, with fast track entry at the 15 busiest attractions and the ability to book tours in advance. The pass can be bought in 6 different durations so that you are not paying for days you do not use. A Broadway show is a great night out, but just walking down the street in New York is an experience in itself, with the iconic yellow taxis and street vendors selling all kinds of food.
New York is filled with thousands of fantastic places to eat, and with the subway and other transport links you will be able to experience many wonderful restaurants and cafes.
Whilst most New Yorkers consider themselves to be Christian, there are also significant Jewish, Muslim and Buddhist populations.
Health insurance is a must for anyone travelling to North America; without it you could end up with a hefty medical bill if you fall ill or are in an accident. Safety is always an important consideration. In any large city there are areas that are safer than others, and it is always important to be vigilant against pickpockets.
|Item||Cape Town||Johannesburg||New York City|
|Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant||R90||R100||R250|
|Domestic Beer (0.5 liter draught)||R24||R20||R84|
|Taxi 1km (Normal Tariff)||R10||R10||R22|
|Pack of Cigarettes (Marlboro)||R35||R36||R181|
SA passport holders can apply for a Visa by visiting the official website for Visa Services of the United States of America in South Africa: southafrica.usvisa-info.com.
Processing times for a Nonimmigrant U.S.A. Visa take approximately 2 - 3 working days, though your appointment should be scheduled at least 60 days before your departure date.
Remember Visa interviews are by appointment only and you need to complete the online application form, schedule and pay for your appointment online, and print out the barcoded confirmation document.
The basic checklist for a USA Visa application is as follows; however, requirements and documents you choose to submit may differ according to the type of U.S. Visa you are applying for.
- Your current passport with at least 6 months validity from the date of your return and at least 2 blank pages.
- The application confirmation page from your online Visa application.
- A copy of the barcoded confirmation document showing proof of payment and appointment.
- Your old passport (if possible) to show your travel history and previous US Visa’s.
- A recent photo (50mm x 50mm).
- Your New York flight ticket (optional – applicants are advised to obtain a Visa BEFORE purchasing tickets or making binding travel plans).
US Visa Office Locations in South Africa
Old Mutual Centre, 31st Floor, 303 Pixley KaSeme Street (formerly West Street), Durban 4001
PostNet Suite 50, Private Bag x26, Tokai 7966 2 Reddam Ave, Westlake 7945
T: (27) 21-702-7300<
F: (27) 21-702-7493
Call Centre: 087 550-2160 (Nationwide)
1 Sandton Drive, Sandhurst 2196
The price of the US Visa depends on the exchange rate at the time of applying.
The South African Consulate in NYC is located in midtown Manhattan, on 38th Street, between First and Second Avenues.
9th Floor, 333 East 38th Street,
New York, NY 10016-2772
Travel Adaptor:The United States uses Type A and Type B plugs/sockets. Adaptor converters are available at airports, baggage shops and shopping malls throughout South Africa.
Voltage: The United States uses 120V (Frequency: 60 Hz). As a general rule, different voltages are sometimes used within the same country. Be mindful of this before plugging in and always check your device voltage against the voltage of the power point you’re using.
The information on this page is correct as of November 2015. While every effort is made to keep information as fresh as possible, Travelstart.co.za takes no responsibility for any of the information being out of date or incorrectly noted.