Fly with Thai Airways International
Getting to know Thai Airways
Thai International Airways or TIA have been gracing skies for well over a half century since its inaugural flight in 1960 and has been a stalwart to travel in Asia and the Pacific regions.
Thai Airways was born out of a joint venture between domestic carrier Thai Airways Company (TAC) and Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS) and opening up routes to 9 international destinations.
Book cheap Thai Airways flights with Travelstart today!
Why fly with Thai Airways
- A multi-award winning airline and has been recognised by Skytrax for Best Airline in the World (2006) and World’s Best First Class Lounge (2009).
- Winner of the Best Economy Class award at the Airline ratings awards in 2015
- Have been in operation for over 70 years
Free baggage allowance per passenger for Thai Airways is stipulated by the airline as follows:
- Economy Class – 23kg
- Business Class – 32kg
- First Class – 32kg
Check in for your Thai Airways flight from Johannesburg at OR Tambo International Airport. Check-in counters are located on the upper level of the International Departures Terminal A at O.R. Tambo.
Thai Airways check in counters open 3 hours before scheduled departure time from Johannesburg. Remember your Travelstart e-ticket, passport and relevant travel documents.
Thai International Airways offers its clients the option of Economy class, Premium Economy, First Class (Royal First) and Business Class (Royal Silk)
Thai Airways International flies to more than 70 destinations in 35 countries from its hub at Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok. Smaller domestic hubs are located at Phuket, Chiang Mai and Hat Yai airports in Thailand.
Like Lufthansa, Thai Airways is a founding member of the Star Alliance, offering passengers flights from Asia with excellent connections to destinations across the globe.
Thai Airways top routes reside mainfly in Asia and off the pacific and include the following destinations:
- Australia : Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney
- Bangladesh : Dhaka
- China : Beijing, Kunming, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Cheng-Du, Xiamen, Hong Kong,Chongqing,Changsha
- Cambodia : Phnom Penh
- India : Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Gaya, Varanasi
- Indonesia : Jakarta, Denpasar
- Japan : Osaka, Tokyo, Nagoya, Fukuoka, Sapporo
- Korea : Seoul, Busan
- Laos : Vientiane,Luang Prabang
- Malaysia : Kuala Lumpur, Penang
- Myanmar : Yangon
- Nepal : Kathmandu
- New Zealand : Auckland
- Pakistan : Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad
- Philippines : Manila
- Sri Lanka : Colombo
- Taiwan : Taipei
- Vietnam : Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi
Local flight schedule
Direct flights to Bangkok from South Africa depart OR Tambo Airport in Johannesburg 3 times weekly. Thai Airways flight schedule for flights from Johannesburg (JNB) direct to Bangkok (BKK) is stipulated by the airline as follows:
- Johannesburg to Bangkok: Mon, Wed, Sat – depart Johannesburg at 13:40 – arrive Bangkok 5:55
- Bangkok to Johannesburg: Mon, Wed, Sat – depart Bangkok at 01:15 – arrive Johannesburg 7:30
- Bangkok is GMT +7 - 5 hours ahead of Johannesburg, so set your watch accordingly.
Thai Airways’ fleet comprises 91 Airbus and Boeing aircraft with an average age of 12 years. Thai Airways International is currently undergoing a fleet upgrade, with plans underway to phase out 11 of their oldest aircraft in 2012 and replace them with 12 modern carriers.
|IATA code:||Hub Airport:||Alliance:||Loyalty program:||Inflight magazine:|
|Suvarnabhumi International Airport||Star Alliance||Royal Orchid Plus||SAWASDEE|
The information on this page is correct as of October 2015. While every effort is made to keep information as fresh as possible, Travelstart.co.za takes no responsibility for any of the information being out of date or incorrectly noted.